One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Plum Crumble

I had a couple of plums sitting on my kitchen counter I needed to use and thought I would look for something different to do with them.  One of my favorite desserts is Apple Crisp, and I wondered if I could do the same with plums.  Well you can.  :-D  I found a Plum Crumble recipe at Southernfood.about.com.  As I often do, I pared the recipe down and created 2 individual servings.  One of the things I found interesting about this recipe was that it called for egg mixed with the flour and sugar topping.  Once the topping is crumbled over the fruit,  you drizzle it with melted butter, then bake until golden.  I think it was the egg that made the difference - it created more of a cookie atop the fruit.  It was an interesting change of pace.  In contrast to apple which tends to keep some shape even when cooked, the plums took on an almost "jammy" texture - really good.  I confess that this will never take the place of my favorite Apple Crisp, but it was still delicious!

Plum Crumble

3 pounds fresh plums, pitted, quartered, about 5 cups
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup butter, melted

Combine plums and brown sugar, stirring well to blend. Pour into a buttered 11-1/2x7-1/2 inch baking dish. Sift together the flour, granulated sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add the beaten egg, stirring lightly with fork until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle mixture evenly over the plums then drizzle with the melted butter. Bake plum crumble at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve warm with whipped topping or ice cream.

5 comments:

De cozinha em cozinha said...

What a wonderfull and delicious crumble!
Have a nice day!

La Table De Nana said...

The egg would do that..Still lovely.. a change is nice and your crumble looks delicious Lori.

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Hi Lori! Brilliant method using the egg, I must remember that, thank you for sharing the tip.

Guess what I'm yearning for, for breakfast today?! :) xo~m.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Things always look so much better when baked in ramekins! This looks seriously good. I haven't had plum crumble in ages. Thanks for the reminder.

Cathy said...

Plum season is over here but I've bookmarked this for next summer. They are one of my favorite fruits and I'm always looking for recipes that show them off.

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin