One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Oregano Shrimp


It's not often I come home and cook after work.  To try and turn that trend around, I thawed some shrimp in the refrigerator today, hoping that would impel me to make dinner. Having made up my mind I was going to follow through with my plan, as soon as I walked in the house, I turned on the oven.  I threw a kaiser roll into the food processor and blitzed away with some herbs and a clove of garlic.  I had half of a tomato leftover from yesterday and decided to use that for Julia Child's Tomato Provencal.  So I scooped out the insides of the tomato and filled it with some of the bread crumb mixture, drizzled a little olive oil over it and put it in the oven.  Next I put some rice and water in a pot and got that going on the stove.  Then I set to cleaning the shrimp.  Using kitchen shears, I cut down the back of each little guy, then went back through them and removed most of the shell and the sand vein, rinsing as I went.  I had decided to use them in another easy recipe - Oregano Shrimp.  So simple, so good.  Dinner was done in about half an hour.  This is enough to make me think about cooking during the week more often!

(P.S. Sorry about the photo. It's late, too dark, and a less-than-ideal photo-taking situation!)

Oregano Shrimp

1-1/2 pounds fresh large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place shrimp in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle shrimp with lemon juice. Combine bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, Parmesan, and oregano in a small bowl. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over shrimp. Pour butter on top. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Serve over angel hair pasta or rice. Serves: 4 to 6


Source: Stop and Smell the Rosemary, copyright September 1996

5 comments:

Linda said...

Looks good sweetie!

Thibeault's Table said...

I keep coming back to look at your shrimp. I love the idea of the fresh oregano. Your picture has me craving prawns.

Ann

Joyti said...

Wow, I bet those were AMAZING!

Matt Kay said...

This is a winner for sure. I was saying earlier that lemon, parsley and olive oil are one of my favorite flavor combinations but I'd gladly take butter instead of olive oil.

The oregano and cheese are just icing on the proverbial cake.

Cheers!
Matt Kay

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Love, love, love this combination of flavors Lori.

Kudos to YOU for making such a beautiful and delicious dinner after a day at work. Who wouldn't be delighted to dine on such fare?

((hugs)) And think of you all the time... afghan weather again very soon here. I'll be snuggling in. ;)~m

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin