One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Monday, September 6, 2010

Central Market's Pan-Fried Hatch Crabcakes


Recently, a friend from work, JoAnn, told me about a wonderful recipe she used for crabcakes.  It called for roasted Hatch peppers - I was intrigued!  She promised to bring me a copy of the recipe.  Lo and behold, sweet JoAnn not only brought a copy of the recipe but a bag full of roasted Hatch peppers!  Now I love foodies - everyone knows that.  But foodies who provide ingredients?  Top of the list!  Not as spicy as, say, a jalapeno but these peppers definitely have a bit of a kick to them.  And what a great addition to these crabcakes.  Not so hot as to overpower the delicious chunks of crab but another nice flavor element to the cakes.  I didn't have any Old Bay seasoning that the recipe called for (I thought I did or I would have picked some up), so I just omitted it and decided not to sub anything for it.  The crabcakes were great!  I can see making these in a miniature version as appetizers.  Tonight, however, I served them over an undressed bed of arugula which went perfectly with the cakes.  I halved the recipe, eating TWO for dinner, with two more leftover for a hoity-toity lunch at work tomorrow!  Thanks, JoAnn!

Central Market's Pan-Fried Hatch Crabcakes

1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over to remove cartilage or shell
4 green onions, green part only, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1-1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning (I omitted)
4 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup roasted Hatch peppers, peeled, seeded and diced (roasted poblanos would substitute nicely here)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste
1 large egg
2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
1/2 cup vegetable or peanut oil for frying

Gently mix the crabmeat, scallions, herbs, Old Bay seasoning, bread crumbs, diced peppers and mayonnaise in a medium bowl, being careful not to break up the lumps of crab too much.


Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Carefully fold in the beaten egg with a rubber spatula until the mixture clings together.  Divide the mixture into cakes based on the size you desire, making sure that all cakes are about the same thickness.  Place the formed cakes on platter and cover with plastic wrap.  Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.  Just before cooking, remove the cakes from the fridge.  Place the panko in a shallow dish and dredge the crabcakes in it.  Gently shake off any excess.  Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.  Gently lay the crabcakes in the skillet.  Pan-fry until the outsides are crisp and browned, about 4 minutes per side.   Drain the cooked crabcakes on paper towels and serve immediately. (Recipe suggest serving the cakes with a pepper-spiked aioli.)

10 comments:

Thibeault's Table said...

OOH Lori, you might not post often but when you do it is something special. Something definitely worth waiting for.

Moe loves crab cakes and I haven't made them for him in ages. These are definitely going to be on the menu in the next little while. I'll make them with Dungeness crab.

What a great friend to bring you already roasted peppers.

Ann

Becky said...

OK. I just couldn't stand it. After I came over and read your blog post I got online and ordered some fresh Hatch chilies. They are shipping next Monday, so I will be making these crab cakes next week. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

And I agree with Ann. What a lovely friend to bring you chiles!

Linda said...

Yummmmmy...just gorgeous Lori...as always!
So good to see you post again!

Cathy said...

Mmmmm, I love crab cakes and haven't made them in ages. A roasted pepper (I'll use poblano) will add a flavor I don't associate with crab and I can't wait to try it. A vendor at the farmers market has a huge chili roaster so I can purchase warm chilies from him on Saturday. Like Ann, I'll be using Dungeness.

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Wow! Those look scrumptious Lori!! If only I could reach my fork through the screen. :D

You've been MISSED! Glad to see you posting -- your photos are gorgeous, as always. Hope you have a great week ahead. xoxo~m

Anonymous said...

Hi! One of my friends recommended your food blog and so I bookmarked your mushroom soup recipe a while back, and then subscribed to your posts. Yummy--I love crab cakes and I also happen to love hatch chili peppers. Will have to try this. Thanks for sharing!

Dragana said...

I am enjoying my batch of Hatch chilies in omlettes, sauces and sandwiches. They are nice and spicy! Glad you're back, Lori.

La Table De Nana said...

They look mouth watering!

Barbara said...

Oh Lori, I am drooling! Your crab cakes look divine!

Have you viewed Surprise Movers Agents said...

I love crab cakes. These look amazing; just looking at them makes me want to eat some. All the flavors sound delicious!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin