One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Sunday, August 9, 2009

Walnut Thyme Biscotti

I love biscotti but have never had a savory version. I came across this recipe during an internet surfing session. It sounded delicious. I love thyme. I love walnuts. This was going to be good. I had a few chunks of Parmigiana Reggiano in the cheese drawer of the fridge that I threw into the food processor to grate for the biscotti. The recipe also called for dried basil. I had none on hand but plenty of fresh basil growing in pots on my back porch. So I added about a tablespoon of the fresh instead.

These were so good. With a little glass of wine. On the back porch. As the sun goes down. And the temperatures cool just a bit. What could be more perfect?

Walnut Thyme Biscotti
Try different combinations of nuts and herbs in these savory biscotti.

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Heat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a baking sheet. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, cheese, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, sugar, thyme, and basil. Stir in flour mixture until just combined, then stir in walnuts. Shape dough on baking sheet into a 12-inch-long log. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and firm in center. Remove log from oven. Cool log about 15 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 300 F.

Slice log crosswise diagonally into 3/8-inch-thick pieces. Arrange slices on wire cooling racks and return to oven for 10 minutes or until crisp. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Source: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KNH/is_6_9/ai_80206353/pg_2/


Post Thought: This afternoon, I wrapped a piece of Prosciutto de Parma around a biscotti. Pure heaven!! Give this a try. The marriage of flavors is perfect!

11 comments:

chow and chatter said...

wow neat savoury biscotti

Cucinista said...

Great variation on the traditional recipe!

Linda said...

MMMMmmmmmmmmmm...
I will be right over!

La Table De Nana said...

Ooh another one printed..They LOOK and sound Divine!!

Cathy said...

Savory biscotti...what a wonderful idea and perfect with a nice glass of wine. This is my kind of treat, and it's all printed out and ready to go.

Martha said...

I'll have to try these soon.

La Table De Nana said...

They are cooling:) If they are as good cool as they are now:) Winners:)

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

I'm anxious to hear how you like them, M. Don't they smell wonderful?!

Ry @ Sotto Il Monte Vineyards said...

These look wonderful! I've been looking for a recipe like this one.
Thanks!

Kathy said...

This sounds like something I'd like to try. Thanks for the idea. I have plenty of fresh basil too.

Anonymous said...

I do like biscotti! Its recipe so versatile, I need to try with thyme!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin