One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Baked Ziti

Another quick meal. Boil the pasta, make a quick red sauce, and mix up the cheese filling. I decided on individual servings instead of a big dish full of baked ziti. A little sauce in the bottom of the dish. Layer the pasta with the cheese, cover with the sauce, sprinkle with chopped up mozzarella and grated parmesan. Bake. Dinner is done.

Sauce

2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes Escalon's 6-in-1 tomatoes are my favorite - I order them by the case
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
salt & pepper to taste

Heat oil in saucepan. Add garlic. When garlic is cooked (not browned), add tomatoes. Season sauce with the herbs and salt & pepper. Simmer 10 - 15 minutes.


Cheese Filling

15 ounces whole ricotta
4 ounces mozzarella, shredded or grated
1 egg
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Mix all ingredients together.

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cook 8 ounces of ziti.

Cover bottom of baking dish(es) with sauce. Layer pasta and cheese filling until dish is full, ending with pasta layer. Spoon sauce over top, sprinkle with additional grated mozzarella and parmesan. Bake 25 - 35 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.

7 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Perfect petites portions!

I have never heard of your toamtoes..I msut keep an eye out..

I am in a pasta mood for tonight also~

La Table De Nana said...

Maybe because I have been looking for toamtoes:( Sorry! I meant tomatoes.

Linda said...

Beautiful Lori...I love all of your little bakers!
L~xo

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Thanks, ladies!

Linda, the little rectangular ones were purchased at the dollar store. Yep - $1 apiece! What a deal, eh?!

Monique, I've never seen those tomatoes in the stores around here, so I always order them online. When buying at least 6 cans, it comes to only $2.50/can, and shipping costs are minimal. I can't beat that price in the stores for a premium canned tomato product!! (I don't work for the company - I promise!) :-)

Thibeault's Table said...

I'm not sure why, but I have never made Baked Ziti. That will have to change now that I've seen yours.

I can't believe that you bought those cute little casserole dishes for just a $1.00. What a deal is right.

Kathleen said...

I love those handled dishes too. Now they are not from the dollar store???
I make ziti often, will have to try them in indiv dishes ..

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Kathleen, the little handled dishes came from a grocery store in North Carolina, though I've seen them elsewhere. Here is a link to them: http://www.prontohome.com/product/bia-cordon-bleu-wavy-square-p_1156519847. I don't think I paid this much when I got them a few years back. I've also seen them at discount stores on occasion (Tuesday Morning, Ross, Marshall's, etc.) for just a few dollars.

I'd love to hear what you find!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin