One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Flan

To go with my Tex-Mex dinner, I made flan for dessert. I've never made flan before - the caramel part kind of intimidated me. Not any more! It was much easier than I thought it would be. Just melt the sugar over a medium flame, stirring constantly. It only takes a few minutes. Super easy. I found this particular recipe at About.com. It was rich and creamy and oh so good. Here's the recipe:

Easy Flan

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour


1 cup and 1/2 cup sugar
6 large eggs
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 13 oz cans evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preparation: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. You will need 6 ramekins or other specialty flan cook ware and a large baking pan to put them in.

Pour 1 cup sugar in warm pan over medium heat. Constantly stir sugar until is browns and becomes caramel. Quickly pour approximately 2-3 tablespoons of caramel in each ramekin, tilting it to swirl the caramel around the sides. Reheat caramel if it starts to harden.

In a mixer or with a whisk, blend the eggs together. Mix in the milks then slowly mix in the 1/2 cup of sugar, then the vanilla. Blend smooth after each ingredient is added.

Pour custard into caramel lined ramekins. Place ramekins in a large glass or ceramic baking dish and fill with about 1-2 inches of hot water. Bake for 45 minutes in the water bath and check with a knife just to the side of the center. If knife comes out clean, it's ready.

Remove and let cool. Let each ramekin cool in refrigerator for 1 hour. Invert each ramekin onto a small plate, the caramel sauce will flow over the custard.

5 comments:

theUngourmet said...

Oh my gosh! It came out beautifully! I have never tried to make it. Thanks for the recipe!

Coleens Recipes said...

Your flan looks fabulous!!!

Martha said...

Flan is a favorite although I haven't made it in ages and you're right it is easy!

La Table De Nana said...

Uncanny!
I was browsing my 2 latest Food And Drink from the LCBO..and I was smitten by a caramel flan..last night! and here you are to further inspire me!

Creative Classroom Core said...

This looks heavenly! Yum!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin